In certain families, playing games together is almost a religion, especially when there are several children who enjoy spending time with their siblings or as a family. Their diverse and varied collection of playing cards and collectors cards can become quite impressive! But when they start to lose cards or pieces, or when cards get damaged, they can be simply left around the place. This is where a little recycling comes in!
This craft idea uses classic playing cards, highlighting their elegant colours and designs. You don’t need much to create these hanging decorations for your home or garden. The cards go from flat to voluminous in the blink of an eye!
What you need:
- Fine wire thread
- Pearls and other decorations such as ribbons or string (the string should pass through the pearls, etc.)
- Wire cutters
- A large pin or piercing tool
What to do:
1) Cut the cards lengthways making strips of around 2 cm wide. You will need around 16 strips to make one decoration.
2) Make holes in the top and bottom of each strip of card. You can do several at a time using your large pin.
3) Cut around 25 cm of wire and bend the end of it after having threaded it through a few pearls, so that it will hold, and then add the card strips one by one as shown. This will be the base for your decoration, so think about the direction of the cards, so that the nicest looking side will end up facing out. Put some pearls on the other side of the cards to separate the upper and lower parts.
4) Take the last card and curve it, passing the wire through the second hole in the card. Do the same with the next card and so on.
5) Continue until you have threaded the wire through the last card. See if you need to adjust it (if the cards are too spread out or too tightly packet), removing one or two cards if necessary.
We are also fans of these alternatives!
This creation using ribbon and paper gives an attractive Japonese effect.