It’s well known, cats adore having plenty of little hidey holes. And instead of investing in overpriced cat baskets, why not make your own super “cat tent”, in which your little ball of fur can hide, sleep and play.
What you need:
- 2 hangers
- A plywood board 40×40 cm
- 1 fairly large old t-shirt
- Sticky tape
- 6 safety pins (fairly large)
- 1 small cushion or blanket
- A cutting pliers
- A drill
What to do:
1. Start by cutting the curved part of the hangers (the hook) and straighten the hangers to form two long metal rods.
2. On your sheet of plywood, mark 4 small crosses on each corner in pencil, to indicate the places you will need to drill.
3. With the aid of a drill, make four holes on the crosses.
4. Arch the hangers to cross over each other (like when you pitch a tent) and insert the ends into the holes on each diagonal corner.
5. Once you have put one end of a hanger in through a hole, bend the end of it that protrudes so that it is folded in under the board, wedging it tight. Do this on all four corners
6. Tape over the protruding folded ends of the hangers on the underside.
7. Next attach the pieces of the hangers that cross over one another with a piece of sticky tape.
8. Pull the t-shirt over the structure. Make sure the neck of the t-shirt is well placed to make a door on one side.
9. Fold the bottom of the t-shirt under the sheet of plywood and do the same with the sleeves. Fix them in place with the safety pins.
10. All that is left to do is insert the little cushion or blanket through the ‘door’ of this pretty little tent, so that your pet can install themselves comfortably inside!
Here is a video showing a similar technique, to get a clearer idea of some of the steps: