If you love a dash of colour, you’re sure to melt for these candles (yes, we had to, it was too easy). And if your heart beats faster for bright, vibrant and daring colours, its time to play the chemist and start experimenting with mixing different shades. Once all the materials and tools are ready, all you have to do is follow a few simple steps to create your own decorative candles, on which you can feast your eyes.
What you need:
- Wax crayons (e.g., Crayola)
- Thick wicks (so that they will burn well)
- Cardboard cups
- A mixing stick
- Containers for the candles
- A microwave
- A cutter
- Optional: essential oils of your choice to add to the mixture
1) Remove the paper surrounding the crayons with a cutter, or by immersing them in water (if you prefer the gentler….).
2) Fill a cardboard cup with wax and put it in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir it and put it back in the microwave for 30 seconds, repeating until the wax is melted. Pour the wax into the bottom of the glass containers and insert the wicks into the middle of the wax. Leave it to harden.
2) It’s time to move on to the colours! Put some wax into a cardboard cup and place broken pieces of crayon on top of it (one crayon per colour). Put it into the microwave for 2 minutes, stir it and put it back in for another 30 seconds, until all the wax is melted. Leave it to cool down for around 30 seconds before pouring it into your candle container. The first layer will dry in around 20 to 30 minutes.
3) Repeat the same procedure with the next colour(s) and leave the wax harden between each layer.